lundi 31 janvier 2011

Analog : the revenge of time...

I've spent the last 8 years exploring new digital techniques to increase productivity during photo shoots. I'm proud to have pioneered this for my client during the noughties, and they thanked me back by hiring me more and more. How could it have been different ? Clients finally could get the pics delivered nearly before they were even made. And how comfy it was for them to get digital files instead of slides and prints.  But we lost the feeling of the real stuff, silver sulphur, all grainy and imperfect but so real, as compared to the virtuality of modern pictures... After all, they exist nowhere except as electric charges in computers or once printed in magazines. Nothing that the hand can touch, feel... And we even abolished time itself, living the rat race to shoot, process, deliver in time with closer an closer deadlines. Zillions of software try to imitate the analog stuff, and some get very close or match it perfectly. But still, something more tactile is lost, and it was a pleasure for me to get back to my old cameras, beautifully crafted objects of desire, when I found back the time capsule : a cardboard full of more than 10 years old film rolls ! Most of them still work, even if with some unwanted but highly expected color shifting, or grainy explosions... Fun, and everything turns into a photo subject ! Just need to earn some money to buy and process the  rolls now... Oups...












1 commentaire: